Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Taquito Night!

Yay! My first recipe blog! Today I created 2 different types of taquitos. Unfortunately, I picked up my camera to take a picture and it didn't want to turn on :( So I took a few pictures on photobooth. I apologize for the lack of photos and poor quality of the photos I do have. So, here we go!

I had some lentils in the fridge and wanted something easy but not lentil tacos (which I make OFTEN) So, I decided to make some lentil and potato taquitos. Since they are wrapped in a tortilla, they are mexican-esque if served with salsa but they could also be labeled as Indian taquitos and would be fantastic served with a masala sauce.

First I made the "taco seasoning:"

1.5 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
1/8 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp onion powder (which I wouldn't have used had I remembered I had onions)

Mix it all together and it looks something like this


Next I got started on the lentils:
1.5 cups cooked and drained lentils
1/4 an onion
2 cloves garlic
1 small potato (chopped into small cubes)
1 tsp canola oil (or cooking spray)

1.Heat a pan and oil until hot.
2. Add onion and garlic, sauté until just before onions are clear.
3. Toss in the potatoes and cook until lightly browned then add about 1/2 a cup of water to allow them to finish cooking
4. add lentils and seasoning and mix well

I would have a picture here but I didn't want to carry my huge cast iron skillet over to the computer

WRAP IT UP

Lay down a tortilla, put about 1/4 cup of filling in a line on one end of the tortilla

Roll it up starting on the end the filling is on and place loose end down on a baking sheet (I used my pampered chef stone)

brush some oil on them and pop them in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and cook with the door slightly ajar for another minute to get taquitos extra crisp.

Voila!

I served mine with salsa b/c I had extra salsa that needed to be used. I'm sure my husband will eat his with sour cream when I take it to him. But, like I said, they'd be great indian style with some type of masala sauce

Taquito night can't be complete without some dessert taquitos! Plus, I had some extra sweet potatoes and carrots that needed to be used so I threw together some sweet potato and carrot dessert tacos.

Ingredients:
2 small sweet potatoes
1/4 cup baby carrots or copped carrots
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp all spice
1/8 tsp cloves
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp brown sugar

1. wash and chop the potatoes  into medium chunks
2. add potatoes and carrots to a pot of boiling water
3. When potatoes are tender (a fork should stick in them quite easily) drain the potatoes
4. replace potatoes and carrots back into the pot and mash them with a potato masher until smooth (some chunks are ok)
5. add all the spices
6. mix it all up and fill tortillas like above
7. brush taquitos with melted butter and dust with cinnamon and sugar

Bake them just like the other taquitos. 
Ta-Da!

The sweet potato ones remind me of a mix between pumpkin pie and sweet potato casserole. Either way, they are delicious....though some vegan whipped cream would make them even better :)

 Please let me know if you try these and what you think! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment